On February 21, 1893, an Act of the Washington State Legislature changes the name of Slaughter in south King County to Auburn. Originally intended to remember Lt. William A. Slaughter (d. 1856) who was killed in the Indian War of 1856 near the town site, the name is considered by both new and old residents as somewhat embarrassing. A runner from a local hotel met trains with a cry of, "This way to Slaughter House!"
The new name honored Auburn, New York, another prominent hop farming area. In the 1890s, hops (used to make beer) were the principal crop of the White River (now Green River) Valley.
Clarence B. Bagley, History of King County Washington (Chicago-Seattle: S. J. Clarke Publishing Co., 1929), 712-713; Session Laws of the State of Washington, 1893 (Olympia: State Printer, 1893), 39.
Licensing: This essay is licensed under a Creative Commons license that
encourages reproduction with attribution. Credit should be given to both
HistoryLink.org and to the author, and sources must be included with any
reproduction. Click the icon for more info. Please note that this
Creative Commons license applies to text only, and not to images. For
more information regarding individual photos or images, please contact
the source noted in the image credit.
Major Support for HistoryLink.org Provided
The State of Washington | Patsy Bullitt Collins
| Paul G. Allen Family Foundation | Museum Of History & Industry
| 4Culture (King County Lodging Tax Revenue) | City of Seattle
| City of Bellevue | City of Tacoma | King County | The Peach
Foundation | Microsoft Corporation, Other Public and Private
Sponsors and Visitors Like You