King County Landmarks: Issaquah Sportsmen's Clubhouse (1937), Issaquah

  • By Heather MacIntosh
  • Posted 1/01/2000
  • Essay 2366
See Additional Media

Address: 23600 SE Evans Street, Issaquah. Since its construction in 1937, the Issaquah Sportsmen's Clubhouse has housed the club. The Issaquah Sportsmen's Club was founded in 1920 as a recreation, social, and habitat conservation association. The City of Issaquah built the clubhouse with the support of the Works Progress Administration (WPA). To increase employment during the Great Depression, the WPA provided Federal funds to hire workers for local projects. The city provided equipment and materials. The use of inexpensive locally-available lumber is reflected in the vertical half-log construction and in the use of peeled logs to support the eaves and porch roof, and to trim window and door openings. A prominent gable roofed porch dominates the facade, and solid wooden shutters protect the windows when the building is not occupied.


Licensing: This essay is licensed under a Creative Commons license that encourages reproduction with attribution. Credit should be given to both and to the author, and sources must be included with any reproduction. Click the icon for more info. Please note that this Creative Commons license applies to text only, and not to images. For more information regarding individual photos or images, please contact the source noted in the image credit.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License
Major Support for Provided By: The State of Washington | Patsy Bullitt Collins | Paul G. Allen Family Foundation | Museum Of History & Industry | 4Culture (King County Lodging Tax Revenue) | City of Seattle | City of Bellevue | City of Tacoma | King County | The Peach Foundation | Microsoft Corporation, Other Public and Private Sponsors and Visitors Like You