King County Landmarks: Hjertoos Farm (1906), vicinity of Carnation
Address: 315 NE 40th Street, Carnation. The Hjertoos Farm, with its prominent dairy barn and large late-Victorian farmhouse, was developed by a Norwegian family that arrived in the lower Snoqualmie Valley in the 1880s among a wave of settlers. When the Hjertooses purchased the farm in 1901 from the Shaw family, it included a two-story log house, a large house for boarders, and a substantial orchard. In 1905, the growing family built a two-story, wood frame farmhouse to replace the earlier structures. The elaborate two-story front porch, which had fallen into disrepair, was carefully reconstructed in 1988 based on historic documentation. The barn, built as a cow barn in 1910, now (2000) supports a tree farm and a farmer’s market. The core of the historic farm property remains in the Hjertoos family.