King County Landmarks: Miner's Cabin (1910), Black Diamond

  • By Heather MacIntosh
  • Posted 1/01/2000
  • Essay 2394
See Additional Media

Address: 24311 Morgan Street, Black Diamond. The mineworkers in Black Diamond's coal mines lived, for the most part, in simple wood frame houses. Once prevalent, few of these houses remain today, and those that survive have been expanded or altered by changes to siding or other materials.

Many mine families lived in houses on company owned-land, but some miners constructed their own homes on private land near the company town. The small one story, wood frame Miner's Cabin, located on land owned by Welsh miner Timothy Morgan, is said to have been built by two Italian miners. They lived in the house until the 1920s, when Morganville became the center of union activity during bitter labor disputes.

Licensing: This essay is licensed under a Creative Commons license that encourages reproduction with attribution. Credit should be given to both and to the author, and sources must be included with any reproduction. Click the icon for more info. Please note that this Creative Commons license applies to text only, and not to images. For more information regarding individual photos or images, please contact the source noted in the image credit.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License
Major Support for Provided By: The State of Washington | Patsy Bullitt Collins | Paul G. Allen Family Foundation | Museum Of History & Industry | 4Culture (King County Lodging Tax Revenue) | City of Seattle | City of Bellevue | City of Tacoma | King County | The Peach Foundation | Microsoft Corporation, Other Public and Private Sponsors and Visitors Like You