On July 18, 1905, the Alki Point Post Office is established. The postmaster is William N. Kirshner, who serves until July 14, 1906, when the post office closes. The post office is located in a small village located on the western point of West Seattle.
When the post office closed, the mail was distributed at the Georgetown Post Office near the Duwamish River. From 1854 to 1855, near the same location, Charles Terry ran the Alki Post Office. This first post office at this location was the second post office in King County, Seattle being the first. The Alki Point area was briefly part of the town of West Seattle before the City of Seattle annexed it in 1907.
Guy Reed Ramsey, "Postmarked Washington, 1850-1960," Microfilm (Olympia: Washington State Library, February, 1966), p. 552-554, 687.
Licensing: This essay is licensed under a Creative Commons license that
encourages reproduction with attribution. Credit should be given to both
HistoryLink.org and to the author, and sources must be included with any
reproduction. Click the icon for more info. Please note that this
Creative Commons license applies to text only, and not to images. For
more information regarding individual photos or images, please contact
the source noted in the image credit.
Major Support for HistoryLink.org Provided
The State of Washington | Patsy Bullitt Collins
| Paul G. Allen Family Foundation | Museum Of History & Industry
| 4Culture (King County Lodging Tax Revenue) | City of Seattle
| City of Bellevue | City of Tacoma | King County | The Peach
Foundation | Microsoft Corporation, Other Public and Private
Sponsors and Visitors Like You