On January 7, 1907, the City of Seattle annexes the Town of Southeast Seattle. This town had a short life, being incorporated on July 2, 1906. The town included the neighborhoods of Seward Park, Mt. Baker, Beacon Hill, Hillman City, and a portion of Rainier Valley.
By ordinance 15172, the Seattle City Council annexed this former third class town that incorporated 5.73 square miles. The boundaries were approximately 24th Avenue S on the west, Lake Washington on the east, S Hanford Street on the north, and S Kenyon Street on the south.
This was the first of six nearby towns that the City of Seattle annexed from January to July, 1907. In October 1907, the Seattle Council approved ordinance 17213, renaming Southeast Seattle’s streets.
Myra L. Phelps and Leslie Blanchard, Public Works in Seattle: A Narrative History. The Engineering Department 1875-1975 (Seattle, Seattle Engineering Department, 1978), 218, 222, 224, 230; City of Seattle, Municipal Archives Program, Guide to the Archives of the City of Seattle ed. by Scott Cline (Seattle: City of Seattle Office of the Comptroller, 1988), 159.
Licensing: This essay is licensed under a Creative Commons license that
encourages reproduction with attribution. Credit should be given to both
HistoryLink.org and to the author, and sources must be included with any
reproduction. Click the icon for more info. Please note that this
Creative Commons license applies to text only, and not to images. For
more information regarding individual photos or images, please contact
the source noted in the image credit.
Major Support for HistoryLink.org Provided
The State of Washington | Patsy Bullitt Collins
| Paul G. Allen Family Foundation | Museum Of History & Industry
| 4Culture (King County Lodging Tax Revenue) | City of Seattle
| City of Bellevue | City of Tacoma | King County | The Peach
Foundation | Microsoft Corporation, Other Public and Private
Sponsors and Visitors Like You