On January 15, 1907, the City of Seattle annexes the Town of Ravenna, located just north of the University District.
On this day, the City Council of Seattle approved ordinance 15228 that added 0.62 square miles to Seattle. The former fourth class town was a five-block-wide strip that went between 15th Avenue NE and 20th Avenue NE and between NE 85th Street to NE 55th Street plus an area from 20th Avenue NE on the west and 30th Avenue NE on the east and from NE 65th Street on the north to NE 55th Street on the south.
During 1907, Seattle annexed seven adjacent areas that nearly doubled the size of the city from 35 square miles to 67 square miles. Later in the year, during August 1907, the Seattle City Council passed an ordinance (16791) renaming Ravenna's streets.
Myra L. Phelps and Leslie Blanchard, Public Works in Seattle: A Narrative History. The Engineering Department 1875 - 1975 (Seattle, Seattle Engineering Department, 1978), 218, 222, 224, 230.
Licensing: This essay is licensed under a Creative Commons license that
encourages reproduction with attribution. Credit should be given to both
HistoryLink.org and to the author, and sources must be included with any
reproduction. Click the icon for more info. Please note that this
Creative Commons license applies to text only, and not to images. For
more information regarding individual photos or images, please contact
the source noted in the image credit.
Major Support for HistoryLink.org Provided
The State of Washington | Patsy Bullitt Collins
| Paul G. Allen Family Foundation | Museum Of History & Industry
| 4Culture (King County Lodging Tax Revenue) | City of Seattle
| City of Bellevue | City of Tacoma | King County | The Peach
Foundation | Microsoft Corporation, Other Public and Private
Sponsors and Visitors Like You